Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What brands to look for when you're shopping in Belgium

It's funny how we all like to stand out sometimes. For instance, one of the most fun things about buying clothes abroad is being able to say 'Oh you like this? Yeah, I bought it in [random hip destination].' It's nice to be able to wear something unique (or unique in your home town anyway). It's even nicer to wear stuff that reminds you of a great trip. One of the most recent additions to in my wardrobe include cute red ballerina's I bought in Paris while visiting some dear friends. Whenever I wear them, I think about wandering through the streets of Saint-Germain-des-Prés, watching impromptu concerts in obscure gazebos, dancing to goofy French songs and making killer cosmopolitans in the middle of the night.

My point is, if you're anything like me when you're travelling, you'll prefer visiting stores you wouldn't normally find at home. It makes your treasures just a little more special. It can be pretty hard to collect the necessary information, though. So I made a quick list of some quintessential Belgian brands, with just a few categories and a link to the brands' websites. It's not exhaustive in the least, just what comes to mind when I think of typical Belgian brands. You never know whether it'll be of use to some or other fashion-crazed tourist!


The basic

Le fabuleux Marcel de Bruxelles


The romantic

Essentiel

Luc Duchene

Just In Case


The retro

Zoot

Who's that girl


The laid back

Hampton Bays

Bellerose


The preppy

Mer du Nord

Scapa


The sophisticated

Annemie Verbeke

La belle et la bête

Ellen Verbeek

Rue blanche

A. F. Vandevorst


The very chique

Delvaux

Natan

Dries Van Noten


The avant-garde

Ann Demeulemeester

Walter Van Beirendonck

Maison Martin Margiela

Haider Ackermann

I might have missed some. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment